49 / 26
      39 / 22
      41 / 26

      Applebee's serves alcohol to 15-month-old child instead of apple juice

      Dominick Dill-Reese was given a margarita-mix instead of apple juice.

      Update: April 13th, 3:45 p.m

      The Associated Press is reporting that the family of Dominick Dill-Reese is suing Applebee's for giving their 15-month-old alcohol when they ordered apple juice. The lawsuit claims the child felt ill after drinking the margarita mix. Doctors say the amount the child drank could have been fatal.

      The family is asking for compensation for emotional distress and medical bills.

      Update: April 12th, 8:25 a.m.

      The Applebee's Restaurant that mistakenly served a toddler alcohol is changing how it serves juice, according to the Detroit Free Press.

      An article from the media outlet's website states that the restaurant will now have single-servings of apple juice, and will pour it directly at the child's table. The company also tells the Detroit Free Press that storage containers for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will be changed and identified.

      Do you think this is enough for the Applebee's to do after this scary situation? Let us know your comments.

      Update: April 11th, 12:13 p.m.

      NBC25 Facebook fans pointed out that this isn't the first time Applebee's has given alcohol to a toddler. An MSNBC report says 2-year-old Julian Mayorga was given alcohol in his sippy-cup at a location in Antoich, California in 2007.

      According to that report, the apple juice and margarita containers looked similar, and the manager accidentally grabbed the wrong one. Applebee's reimbursed the child's family for medical bills.

      A Michigan Applebee TMs served a toddler alcohol after the margarita mix was mislabeled apple juice.

      According to our sister station in Detroit, WDIV-TV, 15-month-old Dominick Dill-Reese went to an Applebee TMs in Madison Heights with his parents Friday. They ordered an apple juice for the toddler.

      As dinner continued, the boy TMs parents realized something was wrong. Taylor Dill-Reese, Dominick TMs mother, described to WDIV what happened next. "We took it from him and he kind of laid his head on the table and dozed off a little bit and woke up and got real happy and was saying 'bye' to people, 'hi' to people. His food came and he wouldn't eat it," she says.

      They soon discovered that the boy TMs cup had been filled with margarita, instead of apple juice. They called police, and immediately took their child to the hospital.

      Doctors told the parents if the boy had drank any more of the alcoholic beverage, he could have died. WJBK-TV reports Dominic the child's blood alcohol level was .10 percent. That's over the legal limit for an adult driver.

      Police are investigating. So far, they say it appears that the margarita mix was labeled incorrectly.

      Applebee TMs executives released a statement saying, "Obviously any situation like this is unacceptable and we take it very seriously. We are working with local authorities and conducting our own investigation so we can assess exactly what happened."

      What do you think the consequences should be for this potentially fatal mix-up? Leave us your comments.