Explosion destroys vacant Flint home
Tue, 13 May 2014 12:08:40 GMT —
What authorities say was a suspected natural gas explosion laid waste to a vacant Flint home early this morning.
There were some injuries and other nearby homes were damaged in the blast. According to Police Sgt. Norman Hoydic, the injuries are considered minor.
The home was on Markham, near Fenton and Hemphill Roads.
The blast was heard for miles away.
In addition to Flint police, Flint firefighters and Consumers Energy also responded.
Tim Shampine, who lives nearby, says he was getting ready for bed when he saw flash, heard the blast and was blown back a few steps. Broken windows and other structural damage could be seen to homes and businesses within a block radius of the house.
According to Consumers Energy spokesperson Debra Dodd, witnesses had seen people leaving the vacant home with a lot of copper pipes. This, Dodd says, may have disrupted the gas line, leading to the explosion.