Explosion heard for miles destroys Mt. Morris carwash
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:44:46 GMT —
An explosion that could be heard for miles destroyed a car wash in Mt. Morris and damaged nearby businesses.
The call about the explosion came in at around 10 Sunday night.
According to the State Fire Marshall the explosion was caused by a problem with a natural gas line.
The On The Spot car wash was completely leveled by the blast. Grandma Kay's Diner next door had one of its walls damaged, as well.
Across the street the One Stop gas station had its windows blown out. Nearby homes were also damaged.
No injuries have been reported.
One witness, Lisa Wood, described the explosion to NBC25, "It was crazy, I was driving down the road, going to her house and I'm driving and I heard a big boom and it shook my car on the road, literally. I pulled into her house and she thought I hit her house because her house shook, so she didn't know what to think. But I knew something blew up."
Another witness who lives a block away said she was knocked off of her feet when the explosion happened.
Officials are expected to return to the scene today to continue their investigation.