50
      Thursday
      65 / 43
      Friday
      72 / 50
      Saturday
      70 / 42

      Gas leak causes house explosion in southern Michigan

      Authorities in Washtenaw County say they suspect a natural gas leak caused an explosion that destroyed a house and injured a man who lived there.

      Sheriff's spokesman Derrick Jackson says that the blast happened about 11:20 a.m. Sunday in Ypsilanti Township, east of Ann Arbor.

      He tells AnnArbor.com, The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press that a man, woman and child were in the home. WWJ-AM says the woman and child apparently escaped injury, while the man went to a hospital for leg injuries.

      Jackson says there was a smell of natural gas at the site, and a gas leak is suspected of causing the blast.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER