Thereâ??s just four more days until April 15, arguably one of the most dreaded days of the year. But the IRS says it's trying to make the process of filing 2012 income taxes as hassle-free as possible for taxpayers.
The agency says electronic filing is still the most accurate, efficient way to file. Everyone can use IRS Free File to do that. Here are some other tips if you're planning to file your taxes this weekend.
1. Collect all your necessary documents and keep them in one place.
2. If you're using a tax preparer, ask him or her several questions. Make sure you're working with someone who is qualified and trustworthy.
3. Remember to double-check your math.
4. Triple-check important numbers such as your social security number.
5. Most importantly, check that your bank account number is correct if you're using direct deposit for your refunds or payments.
If you're concerned you won't be able to pay your income taxes, the IRS says, don't panic.
"Now more that ever before, the IRS - we've changed our policies, we've worked with Congress to change some laws that will give us some flexibility so that we can work with taxpayers if you owe and you can't pay. Don't worry,â?? local IRS spokesman Luis Garcia assured.
Taxpayers who need more time can file for an extension with Form 4868.
But remember, it just gives you more time to file; you still have to pay by the 15th.
For more details and last-minute filing tips, visit www.irs.gov.