High heat and dangerous heat index values are expected over the next few days. Here are a few reminders/tips on how to keep you and your family safe during the dog days of Summer. - Stay hydrated. Drinking water is an absolute must during heat waves to keep your body from suffering heat illness and dehydration. Try to avoid alcoholic, carbonated, and caffeinated beverages, as they can also cause you to dehydrate.
- Wear loose fitting and light colored clothing. Loose fitting clothing will let most of the heat around your body escape. Light color clothing will reflect a lot of the sun's radiation off of your body, whereas dark colors will absorb the sun's radiation.
- If you can, limit physical activities outdoors.
- NEVER leave a child or a pet in your car. Last year, more than 30 children were killed from overheating in a car.
- Check on those most vulnerable to extreme temperatures. The young and elderly are very susceptible to heat illness, and those with a comprimised immune system.
- If you know someone who does not have AC, invite them into your home, deliver fans to them, or advise them to go to a mall, movie, or library during the peak heating hours from 10 am - 6 pm.