Man bit, punched, & strangled 2 yr old just months after fracturing same child's skull

Kylah needs to wear special shoes to walk

Update April 15th, 10:30 p.m.

A Mt. Pleasant man is sentenced to 30 years in prison after brutally torturing a toddler.

NBC25 got the privilege to meet this little girl and hear the heartbreaking story.

U.S. Attorney Roy Kranz says it TMs one of the worst child abuse cases he's ever handled.

Doctors say it's a miracle 3-year-old Kylah Williams is still alive.

"She had a spleen that was ruptured. She had bleeding on the brain, and she had four or five different planes of injury on her face," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Roy Kranz.

Kylah is a victim of severe child abuse, at the hands of her mother's boyfriend David Delacruz-Slavik.

Thursday he was sentenced to 30 years in prison after he admitted he tried to kill Kylah in October of 2009 .

Police say Kylah lived at a residence on S. Wise Rd. in Mt. Pleasant when she was attacked by Delacruz-Slavik, and court records show it happened on more than one occasion.

He was convicted of child abuse in the second degree in Bay County and was sentenced on that eleven days before this happened, said Kranz.

Today, Kylah is learning to sit-up, walk, and talk all over again after undergoing six open-skull surgeries.

"The left side of her brain is considered dead at this point," said Melody Lake, A Michigan Department of Human Services worker who is handling Kylah TMs case.

She wore a helmet to protect her brain after a portion of her skull had to be removed.

She wouldn't have lived if she wasn't strong, and she brings that on all the time, bring it on, she can handle it, said Shelley Campbell, Kylah TMs foster mother.

Shelley and Mark Campbell are Kylah's foster parents.

They say despite the torture she's endured, she's still an affectionate little girl.

She just loves people, particularly men, which surprised us, said Shelley Campbell.

Besides her abuser, Mark Cambell is the only father figure she's had, so he loves her unconditionally.

Hugs and kisses, tuck her in and make sure she's safe at night, said Mark Campbell, Kylah TMs foster father.

Campbell says he gets emotional when he thinks about what Delacruz-Slavik did to Kylah.

"You know like all my buddies, we'd like to be alone ten minutes in a room with the guy, but what would that help?" said Mark Campbell.

Kylah is learning to use her right arm again and to understand basic sign language.

I want her to be able to tell her story. I want her to be able to say, you know this is what happened to me and this is how far I TMve come, said Shelley Campbell.

The Campbells have four children of their own, but say their family won't be complete unless they adopt little Kylah.

We just can't imagine life without her, said Shelley Campbell.

The Campbells say they're willing to adopt Kylah's two year old sister too.

U.S. Attorney Roy Kranz says Kylah's biological mother was instrumental in prosecuting Delacruz-Slavik, even after she lost her parental rights.

Saginaw Attorney Rod O'Farrell who represents Delacruz-Slavik declined to comment.

If you'd like to help Kylah's foster family with medical-related costs, go to


Update: April 15th, 11:45 a.m.

NBC25's Jessica Harthorn is investigating this story. She called to speak with Delacruz-Slavik's attorney, Rodney O'Farrell, but he stated he has no comment on the case. We will have more on this story on NBC25 News at 6:00 p.m.

Update: April 15th, 10:35 a.m.

The Morning Sun has identified the toddler as Kylah Williams. The media outlet reports that the child's mother, Lisa Schaefer, allowed her boyfriend to come back into her home even after the initial beating. She has lost parental rights to the child.

Read more Delacruz-Slavik gets 30 years for beating Kylah Isabella County man sentenced to 30+ years for torturing 2-year-old girl Mount Pleasant Man Sentenced for Attempting to Kill Child

Update: April 15th, 10:20 a.m.

According to the Bay City Times, after the first assault, a Bay County Circuit Court judge ordered Delacruz-Slavik to serve three years of probation for the abuse.

The report says the child is Delacruz-Slavik's girlfriend's child. The child has now been placed in foster care.

He bit, punched, and strangled a two-year-old child, and now he TMs paying the penalty.

David Delacruz-Slavik caused the toddler to suffer a stroke and other life-threatening injuries after repeatedly abusing the child on the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Reservation in Isabella County in October 2009.

Shockingly, this isn TMt the first time he had been convicted for abusing the child. Just two months before this incident, he was sentenced for fracturing the same child TMs skull.

In January of this year, Delacruz-Slavik pleaded guilty to attempting to commit murder and assaulting the child.

This week, he was sentenced in Bay City TMs Federal Court to at least 30 years in prison.