74
      Wednesday
      89 / 64
      Thursday
      84 / 64
      Friday
      86 / 62

      More fungal meningitis cases reported

      Due to a contaminated batch of steroids used to ease back pain, now 28 cases of fungal meningitis exist in Michigan. There have been three deaths across the state including a 56-year-old Genesee County woman.

      Fungal Meningitis is not contagious and according to doctors the only way you can become infected is through a needle.

      However, those who may have come in contact with this contaminated steroid are advised to call their doctor.

      Local health officials say this nation-wide outbreak is unlike anything they've dealt with.

      "I'm not aware of anything that's been this severe in terms of number of states involved and number of possible individuals exposed" says Genesee County health officer Mark Valacak.

      "It's very rare in fact if there was fungus in this room, it's almost impossible to be infected without being introduced with a needle" says dr. bobby mukkamala ear nose throat surgeon.

      Across the state, the contaminated batches from Massachusetts made it to clinics in Warren, Traverse City, Brighton and Grand Blanc Township.

      The Michigan Nuerosurgical Institute in Grand Blanc Township issued a statement that says to-date no patients of the institute have been affected by meningitis.

      The Brighton Michigan Pain Specialists also issued a statement stating that 875 patients were treated with the contaminated steroid.

      "I think we're probably going to be hearing about more cases for the next couple weeks then probably peak then less and less and won't hear about it anymore," says Dr. Bobby Mukkamala, an ear, nose, and throat specialist.

      The Michigan Pain Specialist in Brighton is advising any patients who were treated with injections at the clinic between August 7 and October 2 to go to the emergency room if they are expereiencing any symptoms.

      Symptoms include headache, neck-ache, nausea and sensitivity to light.