Profitt Report: Dirty chimneys can cause fires, destroy homes
If you’ve been enjoying your cozy fire this week, you might want to make sure your chimney is clean: a dirty chimney is a fire hazard.
"There's also a brush head that's stuck inside there that could be preventing the proper flow up the chimney," said certified chimney sweeper Brian Sanders while inspecting a fireplace.
He works for American Professional Chimney and Masonry in Maryland.
Homeowner Scarlett Utsick likes to burn wood several times a week but said the smoke was coming back into the house. Having it inspected may have prevented a catastrophe.
The Chimney Safety Institute of America says professional chimney sweeps look for these signs of a chimney fire:
-“Puffy” or “honey combed” creosote
-Warped metal of the damper, metal smoke chamber connector pipe or factory-built metal chimney
-Cracked or collapsed flue tiles, or tiles with large chunks missing
-Discolored and/or distorted rain cap
-Heat-damaged TV antenna attached to the chimney
-Creosote flakes and pieces found on the roof or ground
-Roofing material damaged from hot creosote
-Cracks in exterior masonry
-Evidence of smoke escaping through mortar joints of masonry or tile liners?
The Profitt Report wants to hear from you - please send consumer and story ideas to ProfittReport@WSMH.com