65
      Friday
      82 / 64
      Saturday
      85 / 66
      Sunday
      88 / 65

      Seniors evacuated in Saginaw Township

      Residents at the South Colony Place Independent Living complex were evacuated early this morning after smoke filled a fifth-floor apartment. The building is located at 180 S. Colony Drive.

      Saginaw Township fire officials were called to the scene around 6:30 a.m. and quickly secured the building. There were no injuries reported to residents or firefighters that responded to the scene.

      The first four floors and a corner of the fifth floor where the incident occurred suffered smoke and water damage. Residents in other parts of the building were allowed back inside shortly after 7 a.m.

      Saginaw Township Fire Chief Jim Peterson believes the fire began on a couch after a resident fell asleep with a lit cigarette. The chief urged fire safety to all residents and asks to purchase "fire-safe" cigarettes.