Several people lose everything in Bay City apartment fire
Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:06:46 GMT —
A Bay City apartment has gone up in Flames.
Five units were occupied when the blaze broke out at the building on Tenth and Jefferson around 4:00 a.m. Monday.
"The neighbor down stairs is banging on everyone's door, 'Get up, get up, get up.' By the time I got up I saw smoke in my apartment and then I had to go grab my kid, throw some shoes on him, throw a coat on there. thank god he slept in his clothes last night," says resident Stewart Clark.
The residents said they started to smell smoke. Police arrived around 4:45 a.m. and evacuated everyone just moments before the roof collapsed on the building. Fortunately, no one was injured. One couple was even able to save their pets from the fire. However, the building is a total loss, and renters say none of them had insurance.
Fire crews are not yet sure what sparked the flames and are continuing to investigate.
The Red Cross is helping about a dozen people whose homes were destroyed during the fire. If you would like to help, you can contact the organization at at 989-892-1541.