49 / 26
      39 / 22
      42 / 26

      Update: Buildup in furnace caused carbon monoxide to leak into home where family found dead


      Authorities are learning more about what caused the deaths of a man, woman and an 11-year-old boy Christmas morning.

      A Consumers Energy spokesman said the furnace boiler at the family's home on Foss Avenue was found â??plugged with soot,â?? which was causing a carbon monoxide leak.

      Wednesday, officials said the home tested negative for carbon monoxide, but said any trace of the gas could have escaped before authorities arrived.

      Forty-three-year-old LeTroy Edwards and his wife, 37-year-old Selena Carranza, were pronounced dead at the scene around 6 a.m. Tuesday.

      Carranza's son, Jayson Cobbin, died at a hospital.

      Federal authorities said about 400 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

      The odorless gas forms when something burns without an adequate supply of oxygen.

      An official cause of death for the family has not yet been determined, pending autopsy results.

      ***End update***

      Flint police are investigating a Christmas morning tragedy, after a husband and wife were found dead in their home on Foss Ave. An 11-year-old child was rushed to the hospital.

      Authorities believe accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame, but said they wonâ??t confirm the cause until autopsies are complete.

      43-year-old LeTroy Edwards and 37-year-old Selena Carranza were pronounced dead at the scene. Carranzaâ??s son, 11-year-old Jayson Cobbin, died at a hospital.

      Relative Thomas Davison said, â??I just heard it was carbon monoxide, they went to sleep and didn't wake up. Thatâ??s all I know. My wife called me and told me to come down here because they found them dead."

      The Macomb County sheriff's department said two people in Bruce Township died in a separate incident Monday, also of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.