Local woman warns others about popular toy

    It's a toy that recently exploded in popularity, but now a local woman is warning others about a potential danger involving these hand spinners.

    "I always pick up a new one for the kids, for myself," Michelle Carr of Fenton said. "I like to spin them. They are fun."

    Carr is a fan of this popular toy often used by kids with ADHD.

    "They're just simple, little things you spin and I love to play with them," she said.

    She said it's fun to do and it's even helping her health.

    "I guess as a smoker, you don't smoke as much," Carr said. "If they're in your hands, you're fidgeting with them, you don't smoke."

    But what is supposed to be a fun gadget, she said, turned out to be a dangerous one.

    "Right here in this book case, I could see the reflection," Carr said. "The fidget spinner was on fire on my counter."

    This wasn't a normal hand spinner, however. This one had Bluetooth.

    "Hooks up to your phone... your Bluetooth, so you can play your music so you can still spin it, it lights up and plays your music all at the same time," Carr said.

    But it's no longer playing tunes. Carr said the hand spinner caught fire after being on the charger for less than 30 minutes.

    "It's the same cord I use for my baby monitor and I just simply had it plugged in like this and it was laying right here on fire," she said.

    She said she wants people to be aware of what exactly happened to her.

    "I personally won't buy another one because of the fear of it," she said. "But I know there are tons of kids who want to go get them, but if you plug them in, just stay by and make sure it's charged and it doesn't catch."

    Carr said the spinner didn't come with directions on how to charge it or come with a charger whatsoever. She said she used a charger she had at home that she never had issues with before today.

    She is working to reach out to the company that made this specific spinner.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...