Profitt Report: Here's how to do your taxes for free this year

Photo credit: MGN

There are dozens of programs that will help with your taxes. However, majority of taxpayers can do their federal taxes for free using brand-name software.

The IRS estimates roughly 70 percent of tax payers can do their taxes using online programs such as Turbo Tax, H&R Block and E-Smart. The other 30 percent of people have free options as well: you just need a little more know-how.

Here are your virtual free options:

If you make $66,000 or less, you probably qualify for free software.

“Using the same software you see advertised on TV, through the irs website, you can get that software, prepare your taxes for free and file for free,” Luis Garcia, IRS spokesperson, said.

Each company has different requirements. Please click here to visit the IRS website and learn more.

If you make more than $66,000, you can still file taxes for free, but the process is a little bit different.

“With our free fillable forms. Now, it doesn't do the step-by-step the other software does but it's all online. You can download it yourself so you can come back to it,” Garcia said.

Free in-person help is also available if you meet certain criteria. Older taxpayers qualify for free tax assistance.

“IRS certified, IRS trained, using IRS certified, vetted software. They will do your taxes for free if you're 60-[years-old] or older,” Garcia said.

You can get that same, in-person help if you make $54,000 or less, have a disability or speak limited English. Dial the numbers “211” and they’ll find you a tax center. For tax help in Genesee Co, please click here, Saginaw Co., please click here. More information on tax help in Gladwin, Farwell, Harrison or Clare, please click here.

The Profitt Report wants to hear from you - please send consumer questions and story ideas to ProfittReport@WSMH.com

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending