Police: Mom of abandoned infant blames drugs, to be jailed

Photo distorted to protect child's privacy. Lakewood police photo

LAKEWOOD, Wash. - The mother of an infant found abandoned early Monday morning in the grass in a Washington neighborhood will be jailed, police said.

She blamed drugs for what happened, police said. The woman was found running Monday morning and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The child's father has already been taken into custody Monday on an outstanding misdemeanor warrant, police said.

The incident unfolded about 1:30 a.m. Monday as officers were called to the 8500 block of John Dower Road Southwest for a report of a found 3-month-old infant, Lakewood police Lt. Chris Lawler said.

A woman who was walking home from the grocery through the residential neighborhood heard what she thought was an animal in distress. She then used the flashlight on her cellphone and spotted a little child lying in the grass.

The woman immediately called 911 and officers responded, along with medics from West Pierce Fire and Rescue. The baby was a little cold, but otherwise in good health with no injuries. The outdoor temperature at the time was 41 degrees.

"In my 26 years of law enforcement I don't think I've seen a child abandoned in a yard like this," Lawler said. "It's extremely fortunate that somebody was going by and got to the child before his core temperature dropped or something else happened. The fortunate part of this is that the child is fine."

The child was taken to a local hospital and placed into protective custody with Child Protective Services.

At St. Claire Hospital in Lakewood on Monday, a woman was saying that she is the mother of the child and that she had seen media coverage of the abandoned infant.

She told detectives that she was at a Lakewood home Sunday night and was doing drugs. She became paranoid and grabbed her baby. She began to run, believing she was being chased.

Police said she admitted leaving the baby in a front yard in the hopes that someone would find him.

She was found running at 7:07 a.m. at South 74th Street and South Tyler Street in Tacoma and taken to the hospital.

The woman's husband showed up at the hospital as detectives were talking to her. He told detectives he had last seen his baby with his wife Sunday night, police said. He said he left because he was arguing with her and that he didn't know the baby had been abandoned. police said.

Police say the mother will be jailed once she is cleared medically.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off